GVSU’s Veterans Network is committed to the continued success of our students. Our Veterans Network provides support for veterans, active service members and dependents in transitioning, successfully progressing to degree completion, and on to rewarding post-military careers.
We are pleased to announce that in addition to receiving Gold Status from Michigan Veteran Affairs Agency along with Military/Veteran Friendly recognition from U.S. News and World Report, Military Advanced Education, and Viqtory Media (publisher of GIJOBS.COM), College Factual rated Grand Valley State University as a Top 5 Veteran-Friendly in Michigan and ranked #218 out of 1,820 nationally for veteran friendliness of all colleges and universities reviewed by College Factual. GVSU is in the top 15 percent of all schools in the nation in the Best for Vets category. This ranking was meant to highlight colleges and universities who are working hard to provide quality educational outcomes to veterans, active duty military students and their families. According to College Factual, " Some of the quality factors included in the rankings are veteran affordability, veteran support services and resources available, and overall quality metrics important to any student – and especially metrics important to non-traditional students."
Veterans Network Goals:
- Assist with the transition from military to student roles, including participation in the Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) program.
- Provide assistance for the GI Bill and other VA benefits.
- Provide support through programs, activities, and initiatives that connect veterans with one another.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for veterans, including a Student Veterans' Lounge in Kirkhof Center.
- Assist with preparation for post-military employment or graduate studies.
- Provide pathways to inform and share information regarding on- and off-campus opportunities for veterans.
- Create opportunities for peer interaction.
- Provide and share useful information on Veterans Network website and Facebook page.
- Our Criminal Justice department offers an accelerated Military Police Basic Training Program (MPBTP) for eligible Military Police with a minimum of 2080 hours in a specified law enforcement occupational specialty.
- The Center for Adult and Continuing Studies offers accelerated bachelor's degree in Leadership.
NEW - GVSU Launches Veterans & Active Military Support Group
Veterans & Active Military Support Group | 2:00-3:00pm | UCC - 206 Student Services Building – Allendale Campus
The purpose of this group is to provide a supportive space for GVSU students who served and/or are currently serving our country. Student veterans may face challenges other students have not had to encounter; therefore, students are encouraged to share concerns that are important to them. Some of these concerns may include personal relationships, barriers to academic performance, and transitioning to civilian life.
The group will start on February 27, 2020 and run for 6 weeks. The last meeting for the semester will be held on April 2.
Participating students need not be clients of the counseling center to participate!
For additional information, Michelle or Nic can answer your questions:
Michelle Stahl, M.A.
Nicholas R. Debernardi, Ph.D.
Veteran Services Officer Hours at Grand Valley State University
Veteran Services Officer at Grand Valley
Grand Valley State University is hosting a Veteran Services Officer (VSO) on Thursdays to assist with VA claims, insurance, and other veterans benefits. Our VSO will alternate between 1140 Kirkhof Center, Allendale Campus, and Eberhard Center, Grand Rapids - Pew Campus.
To reduce your wait as a walk-in, schedule an appointment by contacting Lindsay at 616-331-3585.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
Veterans who need assistance filing for the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund or Michigan Veterans Trust Fund, contact your local county office for services.
Kent County Veterans Services
Samantha's Story - Courtesy of the Consortium of Michigan Veteran Educators (CMVE)
Join GVSU's Student Veteran Facebook pages:
Grand Valley Veterans Network Group at
Student Veterans of America at GVSU Page at